Elan Rotating Header Image

Nutritional supplements and social assistance on reserve

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AAND; formerly Indian and Northern Affairs Canada) recently introduced a Monthly Nutritional Supplement and Tube Feed Supplement program.

For the Monthly Nutritional Supplement Program, people living on reserve:

  • who have the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) designation, and
  • are receiving disability assistance,

can apply to their Band social development worker for financial support for nutritional supplements and vitamins and minerals to help address chronic medical conditions. A total of up to $205 per month may be available.

To qualify, individuals must:

  • be receiving treatment from a medical practitioner or nurse practitioner for a chronic, progressive deterioration of health due to a severe medical condition,
  • require items to alleviate specific symptoms that are a direct result of the deterioration and are necessary to prevent imminent danger to life, and
  • have no other resources available to them.

For more information, please see AAND’s questions and answers and application instructions.

The Tube Feed Supplement Program is intended for eligible people who cannot eat or digest solid food. The supplement can be used to pay for liquid nutrition as well as the medical equipment and supplies needed to deliver it. To be eligible for a tube feed supplement, individuals must be:

  • living on reserve and receiving income assistance or disability assistance, or
  • living on reserve but temporarily residing in a licensed drug and alcohol facility; or
  • a dependent of an individual described above; or
  • a child living with a relative who receives the Child out of the Parental Home benefit from the band on that child’s behalf.

To qualify, a medical practitioner, nurse practitioner, or registered dietician must confirm:

  • that the individual must obtain his or her main source of nutrition through tube feeding;
  • what kind (and how much) of a nutritional product he or she needs;
  • how long he or she is expected to need tube feeding for; and
  • what other tube feeding supplies and equipment he or she needs.

For more information, see the AAND policy on the tube feed supplement. Our thanks to Alison Ward for providing the above entry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>